Friday 1 January 2010

My Year As Seth Brundle


Well, here I am writing my second post almost a year after the first and on the first day of a new decade. My ambitions for this blog fell by the wayside when I found myself in the midst of my very own Cronenbergian body horror nightmare (aka cancer) and it's various delightful treatments.

Cronenberg has been my most loved director for as long as I can remember, and I've always been fascinated by the physical transformation and metamorphosis in his best films: The Fly and Videodrome. So it was with a perverse sense of satisfaction and familiarity that I watched clumps of my own hair fall out, my nails deform, my mouth ulcerate, my skin burn and blacken. Looking at my hair lying on the bathroom floor would often trigger thoughts of the Brundle Museum Of Natural History and it's various disgusting and mysterious artifacts. Sometimes I'd imagine the hard, lumpy tumours I could feel bulging under my skin bursting violently out of me like the masses of New Flesh exploding through Barry Convex's ruined and rended face.

I'm not officially in remission yet, but my treatment is over for now, and it's time for me to get back to the unfinished horror business of this here neglected blog. So, if you're interested in the cinema of the bizarre & fantastic, but crave a perspective on it that differs from that of the typical mainstream, I'd love to have you along for the ride. LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH!

No comments:

Post a Comment