Wednesday 25 June 2014

Nothing the God of Biomechanics wouldn't let you in heaven for

Since his death on May 12th, Hans Rudolf Giger has been in my thoughts every day. 

Like so many of my generation I discovered and fell deeply in love with his work whilst devouring the contents of Scanlon & Gross' The Book of Alien in 1979. Ever since, his work has continued to be a constant source of profound awe and amazement for me. I feel privileged to have been able to see his art exhibited twice, at the Galerie Bijan Aalam in Paris in 1979, and again in '93 at the Alexander Gallery in New York. It's a dream of mine to one day visit his bars and museum in Switzerland.

With all this in mind, it's great to see that a new book compiling some of his personal photographs has been released. H.R. Giger: Polaroids looks like it offers a rare insight into the inner life of this enigmatic and brilliant artist. I'm dying to get my hands on a copy.

Read more about it at 032c here.








1 comment:

  1. all I ever knew of his name was his middle name was "Rudy"
    I too have always wanted to go to his great bar and to actually sit in one of those wonderful chairs .... Been in love with those chairs since 1981....!!!!
    H.R. Giger and his art will be missed...

    ReplyDelete