Saturday 4 June 2016

SFF 2016: the list




As has become tradition around these parts, here's the list of movies that I'm seeing at this year's Sydney Film Fest. I'm keeping it to a tight six this year, but it's a nice eclectic mix that should keep me on my toes.



PATCHWORK

This Canadian indie comedy is a gory '80s throwback with a healthy amount of golden era Henenlotter and Gordon/Yuzna running through its Frankensteinian veins. Sounds promising, but can it rise above its influences?




HIGH-RISE

After six years of blogging about this movie there's nothing more for me to say, except I can't believe I'm finally going to see it. A screening of Kill List at SFF 2011 was my introduction to Ben Wheatley, so this kind of feels like coming full circle. As with Cronenberg's CrashHigh-Rise has been a divisive film, one that people seem to either love or hate. We'll soon see which side of the fence I land on.




WAR ON EVERYONE

John Michael McDonagh's first feature to leave the shores of Ireland and Brendan Gleeson behind sees his acerbic wit transplanted to New Mexico, where Alexander Skarsgård and Michael Peña play a couple of Bad Lieutenants on the warpath. McDonagh has yet to put a foot wrong (his last film, Calvary, is a masterpiece) so my expectations for this are high. Caleb Landry Jones, of Brandon Cronenberg's Antiviral, shows up as well.




UNDER THE SHADOW

After being impressed by Ana Lily Amirpour's A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, I'm looking forward to another dose of Iranian feminist horror.




SWISS ARMY MAN

Is it weird that I've avoided trailers for this for the specific reason that I want to be surprised by the variety of useful functions that a farting zombie can have? Daniel Radcliffe continues to distance himself as far as humanly possible from Hogwarts.




EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!

Richard Linklater's Dazed and Confused is one of my all-time faves, so I'm just another of the millions of fans who were delighted to hear that he was making a "spiritual sequel" set during the '80s. Apparently the college jocks that Everybody Wants Some!! focuses on find themselves at an Austin punk venue at one point. Is it based on Raul's?


No comments:

Post a Comment