Friday 20 November 2015

INTERZONE DISPATCHES: Report #4.1




It's a scorching 41 degrees (106 Fahrenheit) here today and I can't think straight, so I'll keep this short and to the point. This is the first of a series of posts taking a look at some recent alternative art inspired by the works of David Cronenberg. Not an exhaustive collection by any means, just a selection of my favourite alternative posters, recent home video and soundtrack covers, commissioned illustrations and fan art. Whether your kick is bug powder, the black meat or alcohol fueled teleportation, I'm sure you'll be able to find something to enjoy during the course of these posts.

Let's do this chronologically, starting with his earliest films up to and including The Brood. Try as I might, I couldn't really find anything for Stereo or Fast Company, so let's start with:

CRIMES OF THE FUTURE

A suitably minimalist poster for Mondo by Jay Shaw



SHIVERS

A trio of excellent poster redesigns by Silver Ferox





and an attractive cover for Arrow Video's recent Blu-ray



RABID

A nice likeness of Marilyn Chambers in this Mondo poster from Phantom City Creative



another skillfully composed Alt. poster from Silver Ferox



and Arrow's recent cover art



THE BROOD

My favourite Ferox of this lot, a powerful and disturbing poster design



and the most impressive artwork of today's post, Sam Wolfe Connelly's gorgeous illustration for Mondo's The Brood/Scanners OST (and a related poster).




That's it for now, next time: SCANNERS


2 comments:

  1. Loving these, Alymer. Can't wait for more! Almost all were unfamiliar to me, and they are all pretty impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked 'em! I'll post Scanners and Videodrome over the next couple of weeks. My aim is to try and find alt. artwork for his whole filmography, even minor ones like M. Butterfly.

    ReplyDelete