Friday 15 July 2011

SEE Jed As A Puppy!


"Se til helvete og kom dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje, det er en slags ting! Det imiterer en bikkje, det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, idioter!"

So, here it is, the trailer for this year's prequel to The Thing. I don't mind that the film appears to be an obvious hybrid of remake and prequel, as I anticipated that from the outset. My main problem with this trailer is that everything feels a bit "flat". The Thing is essentially an intimate little story about an alien and a small group of humans, and as such it demands amazing creature FX and a strong, charismatic ensemble cast. At this stage I have grave doubts about both. I will say without reservation that Mary Elizabeth Winstead definitely looks like the warmest place to hide. Ahem.



2 comments:

  1. i'm still holding out hope...i realize that there is NO WAY IN FROZEN HELL that it could be better than the original OR the Carpenter version, which i prefer over the original anyways....but could it be good and gory and terrifying? let's hope. the trailer doesn't look too bad, other than not even letting us have a peak at the fx....bring on the damn splatter universal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly have no hopes that it will be better than the original, but I am hoping that it will be better than at least 80% of the crap that passes for horror these days. If it can do that, I'll be happy.

    I agree with your assessment, the two things this will need are amazing creature FX (preferably practical and not CG) and a strong ensemble cast. This last point will probably be its greatest challenge. I'm very interested in seeing what Mary Elizabeth Winstead can do, and I have a good feeling about her... right here in my pants! But seriously, this film will stand or fall almost solely on the performances, and their collective ability to deliver that sense of pervasive dread and paranoia while maintaining a strong sense of reality.

    ReplyDelete