Friday, 20 January 2012

I'm All Out Of Bubblegum


As I'm sure you've already heard, Megaupload has been permanently shut down. Gone with it are almost all of the files that I've shared with my readers through this blog. It would appear that these halcyon days of true freedom on the Internet may be rapidly coming to an end.

I find myself in a quandary over this. The majority of my posts don't involve downloads, and file sharing was never my first priority for this blog... but I do enjoy doing it from time to time. There's something truly wonderful about being able to share something you're passionate about with like-minded people on the other side of the planet.

My dilemma: do I continue to share music etc (via other sites like Mediafire), and run the risk of waking up one day to find my blog deleted, or do I stop doing it entirely and concentrate purely on writing? Am I just being a bit hysterical about all this? I honestly don't know.

I know it's my decision to make, but I would really appreciate some wisdom or feedback from my readers and fellow bloggers as to the direction they would like to see the EYE take.

In the meantime, if anyone would like something re-upped, please leave a request in the comments or email me and I'll see what I can do.


9 comments:

  1. Personally, I've never downloaded anything from your blog, so if you chose to discontinue sharing anything it wouldn't matter to me at all. If I were in your shoes, though, I would keep doing it just to make a small statement, but I'd be careful about what I put out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn ! I was in the middle of pulling down something from MU for the Hammer series I'm doing on my page. Dude, I would be cautious about shares at the moment - definitely don't do anything to jeopardize the blog. Years of work could be ruined in a day. If blogs are taken down for sharing links, we'll hear about it soon enough. Until then, sit tight. This is a big development for the online community - interesting, uncertain times ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In what others ways might this whole debacle affect the blogging community? Do the pictures we post also pose a threat to the government? I mean, I isnt using pictures of a film legal for reviewing purposes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Bro.
    So many of my fellow blogging brethren got wiped out instantly as well, and while I used mediafire for the last 4 years most of the time, I am wondring if it is worth it or not to keep posting myself.

    Either way, you've always been a daily stop for me, and if & when you feel the inspiration, go for it. That's how I do it - for me, essentially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just as I hoped for, some smart & insightful advice here. Thanks guys.

    Aaron: Yeah, the ideological/political aspect is important to me.

    Wes: Yeah, I think a cautious approach is definitely the way to go right now.

    Lo-Res: Dude, I'm glad you didn't get wiped out, you've got too much killer stuff on there.

    Film Connoisseur: Who knows, maybe one day we'll be forced to include credits for all images. I doubt it would ever come to that though, seems like it would be near impossible to police.

    John: I will. But how long will they survive now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Used your blog for finding the overlooked diamonds in the mountain of unwatchable sludge seeping out of Hollywood.This meant going to the cult video store and not trying to download crappy avi versions.Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lorcan, I try to avoid the hollywood sludge pit here as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. to me the unflinching eye has always been about the cinema. i turn to the eye whenever i need to know about good movies. the music is always a bonus. but dont worry about reposting links. most peaople can figure out where to download music anyway. (filestube.com or torrents)Keep it up aylmer dont ever want to see this place go down! cheers!

    ReplyDelete